Monday, April 14, 2008

American Idol vs. America's Next Top Model


Photo credit: Gothic Librarian

It's hard to compare two different shows that have two different goals, but as in for promoting new stars, I think American Idol is a lot more successful. Don't get me wrong here, I love ANTM, and I barely watch American Idol, but American Idol does a really good job at creating superstars.

So many singers that are taking over the billboard charts have come from American Idol. Like Carrie Underwood, I didn't even know she was a contestant on the show and now she's known worldwide! Jennifer Hudson didn't even win and she has a Golden Globe! Now when you look at the models from ANTM, I don't think I'd recognize their names because they're not as famous as other models. American Idol contestants make best-selling albums and are treated just like any other A-list singer, whereas the models form ANTM are quite unknown throughout the world. When was the last time you heard about Saleisha Stowers or Caridee English? The models on ANTM may have been on the covers of Seventeen and so, but I've never seen them raise the scale and grace magazines like Vogue, Elle, etc.

As for the show I think ANTM really shows how hard it is to become a model and I applaud it for that. However, I wish the models on ANTM could gain more fame, because they definitely deserve it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its easier to get a hit single then it is to become a famous model. A song takes at most a couple of months to write/record, whereas a getting recognized as a famous model takes a lifetime (think of how many everyday people don't know common place models such as Doutzen Kroes? They know Cindy Crawford, and Tyra Banks though). But I do agree with American Idol being more successful not only because its easier to break into the singing/acting industry (I'm not saying its easy though just easier) but they also seem to provide more support for the contestents after completion of the show. Whereas ANTM you never really see then again except in their 2 page magazine spread..

Anonymous said...

I think that American Idol and America's next Top Model are both very entertaining, but neither are really worth our time.

American Idol is not great at creating superstars. They are good at making one famous for the lifespan of a season. Big superstars only cross their paths once in a while. Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are the only two winners who've really made it in the business. And that is only two winners of of how many seasons? six? 2 of out six is not very good, that's only a 33% success rate.

As for America's Next Top Model, they never pick the ones that I like. It goes way back to Season 1. I loved Elise, but she didn't win. The problem with the show is that they do not chose editorial models who have a greater chance of hitting big designer names. Instead, they go for the more commercial girls. None of them really have an haute couture look. That is the reason why they are only hired by Cover Girl and are quickly forgotten. The only big winner of a Top Model series is the winner of the Australia's Next Top Model, Alice Burdeu who was on the cover of the Australian Vogue! AND she walked for Proenza Schouler, Troy Burch, Marchesa, Dolce & Gabbana and dare I say it, Marc Jacobs! The US needs to follow Australia's steps 'cause they REALLY know how the industry works.

I think I may have written too much, but what I wanted to say was that your blog is fabulous. Keep writing and I'll keep reading. :)

-H.